Tuesday, September 25, 2007

City Girl

I was on the bus on my way home from work today observing the other passengers (the bus is seriously the best place for people watching) when one particular girl caught my eye. She was about 17 years old and beautiful- stunning even- and if I were to cast her in a movie I would cast her as the homecoming queen or head cheerleader or beauty pageant contestant. But you had to really look at this girl closely to see that beauty that she seemed to be trying to hide because she was wearing a too tight “wife beater” tank top, too tight too short jean shorts, her blonde hair was pulled back into a severe ponytail and she was wearing way too much eye liner. In her lap, sat her baby (about two months old) and next to her was a guy, presumably the baby’s father, who looked like a thug that just walked straight out of a prison cell and got onto this bus (although he was quite attractive as well). What was alarming about this whole situation was not really that this teenager had a baby with this thug boy, but that she had a tattoo across the side of her neck (yes, her neck) that said in large print “Shizz’s Bitch” (albeit in scrolly pretty script).

All I could think was “that could be Ellie” wearing a too tight tank top on a bus with her baby and thug boyfriend named Shizz and upsetting neck tattoo that declares her self-esteem problems. And suddenly I began to panic about raising our daughter in the City. Sure, suburban kids get pregnant and get into trouble too, but I am pretty certain that neck tattoo issue wouldn’t happen in the Burbs.

I don’t want my daughter to grow up declaring that she’s Shizz’s (or anyone’s) bitch. I don’t want her to have a scary thug boyfriend or a degrading tattoo. I don’t want her to have a baby until she’d old and married and ready. What are we thinking raising our sweet little baby in a harsh, big city? We live in a city - a real city, not near the city like where I grew up - but in a city with millions of people and hundreds of murders and lots of gangs and homelessness and dilapidated buildings and litter and drug problems. Do I really want Ellie to grow up in the midst of all this ugliness and violence, thinking that it's the norm?

This isn’t the first time that I had a bought of Mom Panic, and I am sure that it won’t be the last, but it was definitely the worst so far. I had to repeatedly remind myself that there are plenty of baby-less, degrading-neck-tattoo-less kids raised in Cities every day. And while there is a lot of ugliness in the city, there's also lots of beautiful parks and museums and culture and wonderful opportunities at her finger tips. I suppose it will be years before it's practical for me to worry about Ellie developing horrible self-esteem problems and teen pregnancy.

But still, sometimes the suburbs seem attractive.

4 comments:

BlondeJustice said...

You and Marty are such wonderful parents and you lead such a good example for Elise that I don't think she will have any problems with self-esteem or being her own person.

Miss you guys!

Retainer Girl said...

I agree. Problems like what this girl experience often start in the homes and are due to a lack of parental support. Ellie is certainly blessed in this regard. Don't worry!

Olivia's Amazonian roommate Katherine

The Sumy Family said...

Imagine, though, raising your daughter in the midst of the terrifying ugliness and simultaneous vast beauty of the city; seeing so much more of what the world contains and being able to keep an open dialogue about the things she observes, and thus allowing yourselves to guide her through so much more than the protected vanilla suburbs could ever expose her to... what an insight she would have on the world, and such an understanding of true humanity!
Of course, if you want to stick to safety of vanilla suburbs, we would love to have you guys as neighbors!

Mamabear said...

Although I wouldnt worry at all about Elise turning out like that, thoughts/doubts go through all parents heads. However, to take preventive measures, maybe you should move back to the "burbs"...we are ready for you guys to move back any time you are!