Monday, October 01, 2007

Playgrounds and Partings

Two quick stories – one cute and the other a little gross (but also a little cute)

We were taking a walk the other day when Ellie noticed a playground across the street. She pointed at it eagerly and said "weeeee! weeeeee!" and then looked up at me expectantly "weeee, weeee!" point, point. Even though it wasn't my intention to stop at the playground, we had to after that. She just made it sound like so much fun! (and it was really cute.)

The next story is about poop, so go ahead and decide now whether or not you want to read on…Now that Ellie is not nursing and eats only solid food, her poop is much more, shall we say, adult-like. Cute, runny baby poop is gone, and now she produces very smelly solid poop and there is nothing cute about it. It’s gross. Even talking about it is gross, I know, but I promise there is a point to this gross story.

So anyway, even though I will tell anyone and everyone about the wonders of the Diaper Champ, there comes a point that the smell just can’t be contained, no matter how miraculous the contraption. Therefore, we started flushing her poop in the toilet to cut down the stink factor in the house. Always curious, Ellie was very interested in watching me flush her poop and then, of course, wanted in on the super-fun looking flushing action. So, I showed her how to flush the toilet (which, in retrospect, seems like a really terrible idea – I think I will probably need to go ahead and get a plumber on retainer) so that she could be part of the whole process and maybe gain an interest in the whole toilet thing (hey, I’m in no particular rush to potty train but not having to pin her squirmy body down to wrestle a diaper on her sounds like fun). So now, flushing the toilet might just be the highlight of her day (and with all the buses and dogs that go by it’s stiff competition). She runs over to the toilet, and eagerly watches while I drop it in and she flushes and then waves and says “Bye, bye! Bye, bye!” until it’s gone.

See, that’s cute right? Or maybe it is just gross. Sorry.

1 comment:

Retainer Girl said...

It's cute in a gross way.

Olivia's Amazonian roommate Katherine