Saturday, April 19, 2008

Oops Upside Your Head

Last week, Elise was running around with her Daddy at Gram and Grandpa's house when she accidentally tripped in their living room and went flying head first into the corner of the coffee table. From the other room, it sounded like a cracking skull followed by a wailing, very upset little toddler. Luckily, when I went rushing into the living room I discovered a fully in-tact skull and no blood whatsoever, just a plum-sized (and plum colored) knot above my little one's brow bone. Through her sobbing tears, she kept saying "Ellie bumped her head", I guess in case we didn't realize what was going on. I must say, I am really enjoying her being able to tell us what ails her (even when it's obvious - it's just nice to have confirmation). If there's anything I learned from all this it's that toddlers (at least mine) REALLY don't like ice applied to their swelling eyes. I swear the ice made her about forty times more hysterical than the actual fall.

Needless to say, our little one developed quite a shiner that made it slightly embarrassing to take her into public for the next week because it looked like one of her parents punched her in the face. Let's just say I would not have been surprised to have gotten a visit from social services. Luckily, people realize that toddlers are clumsy and we made it through the week social-service-visit free. The eye brow bruise made its way down to her eye lid, so she has looked like she's been sporting purple eye shadow for going on two weeks now. It doesn't seem like it bothers her (as long as there is no ice application involved) so I would say that we are extremely luckily. It could have much, much worse than mere a shiner!

No comments: