Thursday, July 26, 2007

The Irrational Parent

There seems something fitting about the fact that "Momma Said Knock You Out" just came on the ipod as I started to write this blog. See, the thing is, I'm the second parent. In Ellie's world there are two kinds of people: 1. People who are Mommy and 2. People who are not Mommy. I fall in the second category and most of the time I'm okay with that. One of my fatherhood mentors, William Sparks once said to me, 'your job is to keep mom happy. Mom keeps baby happy and alive and baby is in charge. 'In fact,' he continued, 'think of it as Ellie is driving the car, Mom is in the backseat and you're in the trunk.' Truer words were never spoken. I am prepared to play my part as Marty, guy in the trunk (aka not Mommy). Sure I joke about being second fiddle, but Ellie and I get enough quality time together that we've got our inside jokes and special playtime, so it's cool. That is until I become unglued and completely irrational.

The other night as we progressed through our bedtime routine everything was fine. Besides that fact that I accidentally hit Ellie in the head with the bathroom door, everything was fine. We even laughed and joked in the bathtub a few minutes later. Book time was good, saying goodnight to all the animals in her room went smoothly, then came kiss goodnight. I got nothing, nada, bubkis. Maybe a little peck, but then she pushing away from me and to get over to mommy for goodnight kisses and man, I think she was trying to send a message because it was Kissfest 2007 with Mommy. She just kept planting big, wet enthusiastic kisses all over Mommy's face again and again and again. I gotta say, I was hurt. My daughter wanted nothing to do with me. That's it, it's over, I had my moment in time with her. It'll be discipline issues and awkward conversations where we don't ever actually say anything to each other. I was crushed.

Meredith felt a little bad too because she had been a willing participant in Kissfest 2007 and did nothing to temper it. She knew I was hurt, but hey, she's on top - everything is great.

But tonight... ah, tonight. I was slobbered on. I got kisses on my cheek, I got kisses on my nose, I got kisses when People who are Mommy were holding Ellie trying to get their own goodnight kisses. It was awesome. I'm back, I'm on top. We're going to be fine, she's Daddy's Little Girl forever and I can picture walks on the beach next weekend, and playing the sand and eating ice cream together and making the best memories ever.

I wonder if parenthood will continue to turn me into a nutjob or if at some point I will stop being an irrational parent and be the calm cool collected parent my parents were...(I'm in such deep trouble.)

2 comments:

Travis, Heather, & Tyler said...

Meredith, this comment is for you. You know what caught my eye. "Don't call it a comeback, I've been here for years." :)

Man, Elise is growing up......she's a little lady now!

Mamabear said...

I can't believe how big she is getting! I absolutly love reading about her every week and watching her grow. She looks adorable in that little blue flowered dress and scarf :)