Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Week 22 - The Claw

Sometimes I run around the house with Elise in my arms chasing after Meredith. Now, for those of you that know me well, you should see nothing odd in this behavior and for many of you who have watched me chase sheep at Mt. Vernon or talk in the silliest of voices at the oddest of times, you will feel pity for Meredith for she now has two children to contend with. But wait! It gets better. Allow me to explain the latest in Ellie's development.

Several weeks ago Ellie started reaching out for things and grabbing them. Eventually, she started bringing them to her mouth and we encouraged this, as it was a big step for her to recognize something and go for it. It should be noted that Ellie is freakishly strong. However, we never imagined that this cute development coupled with her kung-fu grip would turn into... The Claw! The tough part about it all is that the claw is unpredictable. When I'm holding her and drinking my coffee, the claw strikes and spills coffee. (Fortunately, time no longer permits me to have hot coffee anymore because I'm inevitably distracted by Ellie.) When we are
trying to feed her, the claw will ascend from below and grab the spoon. When I have Ellie riding high on my shoulders, the claw strikes and leaves with a clump of my hair. (I used to think that fathers went bald due to genetics or stress or they ripped their own hair out, but now I know... they had daughters... and their daughters had the claw!) Try putting clothes on our angel... she waits until you have the first arm through, then it is an hour later, you are exhausted but victorious... but you know the claw will return. Opening mail around the claw, forget it!
Back to our original scene, I will chase Meredith through the house encouraging the claw to strike and of course, when it could actually be used for good and tormenting those we love, it remains dormant. I always hoped that my child and I could gang up on Meredith and outnumber her. What a fool I was to think that I was not the outnumbered one by the females in the house. It’s a conspiracy.

Pretty soon, as Ellie outgrows things, we will spread them out on the floor and invite our friends over who have young children. I will hold Ellie in my arms and people will pay us to move throughout the toys and clothes and when they are ready, we will bend down and see if the claw was able to win them a prize. ;-) Can you say college fund?

No comments: